Best Portable Table Saw Review
DeWALT DWE7490X 10-Inch
If you are looking for a reasonably priced portable table saw for either workshop or job site conditions, you might want to look at the DeWalt DWE7490X 10" Table Saw.
The DWE7490X is one of the range of portable table saws by DeWalt and is packed with features that are often seen on more expensive machine models.
It has a great ripping capacity and comes with a scissor stand. At 58lbs it's a not the smallest of saws but is very versatile with the ability to move it between job sites.
There are smaller saws on the market but these have sacrificed features in favor of portability.
- Manufacturer: DeWalt
- Model Number: DWEDWE7490X
- Blade Diameter 10"
- Amps 15.0Amps
- No Load Speed 4800rpm
- Arbor Size 5/8"
- Dust Port Diameter 2-1/2"
- Depth of Cut at 90° 3-1/8"
- Depth of Cut at 45° 2-1/4"
- Max Rip To Right Of Blade 28-1/2"
- Max Rip To Left Of Blade 16-1/2"
- Max Width of Dado 13/16"
- Tool Weight 58lbs
On/Off Safety Switch
The ON/OFF switch has a safety lever/cover. It has to be manually disengaged prior to turning on the saw and is quickly shut off by bumping the cover with your knee or slapping your palm on it. This is a great no-hands feature, especially in an emergency situation.
Flip Over Fence
When ripping narrow pieces, the flip over fence allows the user to make narrow cuts without interfering with the blade guard, otherwise you would need to remove the guard. To rip wide boards, the fence is locked into a lower position to support the workpiece.
Built-in Accessory Storage
DeWALT have made an effort to make it easy and convenient to store the table saw's accessories. A loose guard can easily be misplaced when cross-cutting or using dadoes, so having a dedicated storage location for to store it, the wrench, riving knife, miter guage and the anti-kickback knives is really terrific.
The DeWALT DWE7490X can rip up to 28-1/2″ wide which is almost at the top of the range. This feature is only limited by saw stability. You can comfortably rip full size 4' x 8' sheets in half.
The DWE7490X has two dust ports for 95% dust collection. At the rear of the saw is a 2-1/2″ dust port that connects to the area just below the blade (typical location on a table saw). Attached to a job site vacuum it’s very effective, depending on the material you’re cutting. The saw also has a smaller 1-1/4″ dust port on the top of the blade guard to allow any dust above the table top to be collected. This is great for ripping MDF. Cutting these materials inside a workshop causes a lot of dust, but having dust ports below and above the blade have made the workshop environment much cleaner which is also great for the user.
The DWE7490X comes with steel compact scissor stand. This is a great idea in situations where storage space is an issue. The scissor legs fold up for storage so the saw takes up a much smaller space than other models.
Rack and Pinion Fence
The rack and pinion fence rails are the key to this saw's accuracy and overall permance. In contrast to T-junction fencing, this fence is easy to adjust and stays parallel to the blade. The fence rides on rails at both front and back of the saw, with a single fence adjustment knob.
A powerful 15 AMP high torque soft-start motor with an increased speed of 4,800 RPM is enough to handle most materials including thicker hardwoods and treated timber. The higher blade speed improves ripping quality, and it has plenty of power for other applications. It is relatively quiet, yet has enough power to avoid blade jamming.
The DWE7490X is the only table saw in this price range that will accept dado stacks.
As always, when buying from DeWalt you get peace of mind with their great warranty. When purchasing a saw you get:
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- 3 Year Limited Warranty
- 1 Year Warranty
- Ease to set up on a job and store. Can be stored horizonatally or vertically.
- One-handed carrying. It is light at 58 lbs. The side handle for is well placed, comfortably padded and balanced.
- Steel roll cage design. Much better than the plastic of previous designs.
- On-board out-of-the way storage. The cord can also be wrapped out of the way.
- Rubber feet to prevent vibration during use, and also protects the surface it is sitting on.
- No need for tools to remove riving knife and guard
- This saw can use a dado blade stack up to 13/16"
- It is pretty accurately set up straight out of the box. Minor adjustments may be required, but they are easily accomplished.
- One handed easy to use guard system
- The fence may prove to be too lightweight for heavy materials
- A T-adapter to merge the two dust ports to a single dust hose could have been included
- The top vacuum hose may sag. This might need a jig to hold the hose up during cuts.
- There is nowhere to store extra blades on the package.
If you are in the market for a table saw in this price range, this is a good choice. Its additional features compared to similarly priced table saws include capacity for dado blades, onbaord storage, portability, steel blade guard, rack and pinion fence, and high-range motor.
It is equally suitable for a workshop or job site. Its safety power switch should be an industry standard.
It handles most materials easily, and has been tested on different types of materials including plywood, framing lumber (including pressure treated stock), pine, maple and sheet stock. It performs well for cabinet work as well as ripping and finishing timber frames.
Compared to other machines in this price range, this machine ranks highly. You would find it difficult to find a better workhorse.